On Tuesday 22nd March 2016, I was invited to deliver a keynote at the ‘Make it Happen’ conference at University of Brighton. The conference which brought together some 100 staff from all levels at the University, had the aim of advancing women in the workplace and inspiring them as individuals.
This is an area that has formed a large part of the work we have undertaken at InspirEngage International, as well as my speaking tours (see blog on our work at the most influential gathering on women’s issues in the world; The Women’s Forum here). The world is waking up the importance of supporting and engaging women to prosper and to be ambitious enough to want what they deserve. Underlying issues remain around pay gap and lack of representation in certain sectors.
Within my 30 minute presentation, I covered the following components:
- What the current landscape looks like for gender equality and pipeline for advancement of women
- Statistical data in the difference in cognitive abilities and ambition traits of men and women
- Studies on what women have expressed they require for fulfilment and retention in the workplace
- The changing dynamics in the business world with growth of social enterprise
- Practical tool on reconnecting participants with their personal purpose and career goals
- Dialogue with colleagues, sharing insight, challenges and opportunities for change and social impact
It was a great session and I was struck by the depth in thinking on the matter and willingness to practically improve the situation. I urge other educational institutions to engage their teams on this topic. The power lies in addressing unconscious bias, challenging unjust processes that hold women back, encouraging women to become more confident and allowing each person to connect with their personal purpose and connect this to their role.
“Great conference and great presentation. Thank you.” Mairead Stickings, Staff, University of Brighton
“Fascinating talk by Melody” Nicola Ashton, Alumni Engagement Officer, University of Brighton
Email info@inspirEngage.com for all enquiries and bookings.